Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Zipping Along ~ Finishes and A New Start

As I did last year, I will be participating in the 2016 Smalls SAL. Here is what I completed for the January check in: 

Design: Storklette Scissor Holder
Designer: The Sunflower Seed
Fabric: 32 count linen

Folded Front

Folded Back

I stitched this design multiple times but never for myself. Like so many other stitchers I often complete a project for someone else and tell myself that I will stitch it again and keep it! Well, I finally did just that and stitched this scissor holder for myself. 

Last week I took a class at my local quilt shop and I now no longer suffer zipper phobia. I have overcome my fear of zippers.  Here is the lined zippered pouch that I made…



Using this pattern…
Designer: Sew Many Creations

I like that the pouch has a boxed bottom so that it stands up nicely.  Today I took a ride to JoAnn Fabric to purchase a bunch of zippers because I intend to make a bunch of pouches in all different sizes. 

This size is perfect for my English paper piecing supplies: threads, needles, scissors, and templates…


On the second Saturday of each month, I attend an English Paper Piecing sewing group at Waterwheel Quilt Shop.  We all work on different projects. For my new start, I decided to stitch up some of the designs in The New Hexagon book.  

The shop owner introduced us to this fabulous thread…




Each spool has 400 meters of Invisafil thread. It is a poly thread that behaves like cotton and is the perfect choice if you are looking for invisible thread.  The 100wt thread is thin, making it barely noticeable when seaming the pieces together but it is extremely durable. 
She also introduced us to Sue Daly's Patchwork With Busy Fingers #11 Milliners Needles. These help me to take the tiny stitches necessary in paper piecing.  



Thanks for Stopping by…
Until next time…

27 comments:

Marilyn said...

The scissor holder is so pretty, love your color choice.
You did a good job on the sewn pouch, so handy.
Marilyn

Margo's Musings said...

Your scissor holder is very pretty and your pouch looks great!

I'll have to try the Invisafil Thread - the stuff I have is similar to fishing line - completely unmanageable.

- Margaret

Kaelyn Angelfoot said...

I am also working to get rid of my zipper phobia - made a small zipper pouch to carry my essential oils. Your pouch is great!

Sherry said...

What a pretty scissor holder and you did a beautiful job on the pouch! I have put in one zipper back in high school home ec and I promised myself then that I would NEVER attempt to do another! And I haven't.

Carol said...

I absolutely love that scissor holder you stitched--such great colors, Marie. And I'm glad you are keeping this one for yourself :) I have zipper phobia, too--maybe there's still hope for me? Your pouch turned out great and I foresee many more in your future. They look like they might become quite addictive. Thanks for the heads up on the thread, too :)

Hope you are staying warm up there in VT!

Brigitte said...

This scissor holder is such a beauty and you are right, it was about time that you made one for yourself :)

I know what you mean by zipper phobia. I always wanted to make such a little pouch but then the fact that I had to sew a zipper in just kept me from doing so. Is the explanation of how to sew the zipper in clear enough in the pattern you used?

Robin in Virginia said...

What a fabulous scissor holder you created! I haven't seen this pattern; I wonder if the chart is still available. Way to go on conquering your zipper phobia. Your bag turned out great. Nice hexies!

Amy said...

What a cute scissor holder! You've finished it so beautifully.

Amy said...

What a cute scissor holder! You've finished it so beautifully.

Angela said...

Lovely finishes :)

Clare said...

I am so pleased for you making your own `Storklett Scissor Holder` after making others as gifts. I have a pattern that this year hope to make myself one after giving away 14!! Also now you have mastered zips there will be more of your lovely pouches :) Happy Stitching.

valerie said...

Great finish for your storklette scissors! It's very cute and I love the purple theme. Your little pouch looks fantastic and handy. Great job overcoming your fear of sewing zippers! :)

Maggee said...

What a pretty project you have created! So lovely! Congrats on making one for yourself, finally! Hugs!

Varla Lee said...

Wow! Your blog let me speekless!! So many beautiful things that you embroidered...lovely! I'll put it on my fav-blog-list. Thanks so much for your kind words in my blog, warm hugs. ^_^

Brenda said...

What a beautiful scissor cover!!! Love the finish! And I LOVE your zippered pouch!!! Glad you got over your fear of zippers.

Heather said...

I love your Smalls finish for this month! Great work. And the pouch is really wonderful too.

Stitching Noni said...

I love your scissor pouch! Well done on getting over the fear of zippers... I still haven't and I avoid making anything that needs a zip!! :o)
Hugs xx

Elfie said...

Your scissor pouch is so very sweet. Congratulations!

Sheryl said...

Love your scissor holder, such pretty colours and the so useful zipper bag is perfect and a lovely print.

Anna van Schurman said...

It's nice to keep something for ourselves every once in a while. Glad you got to keep this beautiful piece!

ANGIE said...

Hi Marie, your scissor holder is so lovely! I love it! Happy stitching!

diamondc said...

Beautiful colors and lovely finish, how adorable.
Love that bag I too have a phobia about zippers.
Thank-you for posting about that thread, I have never seen that before.

Blessings
Catherine

Rachel said...

Oh, how lovely! I'm glad you were able to stitch that scissors holder for yourself.

Congrats on the zippers!

Don't you just love bags for supplies?! I love using bags to hold threads, etc. for each project I am working on :) Keeps them separatedand organized.

Good luck with your craft classes!!!

Irmeli said...

Your scissor holder is really wonderful, beautiful finishing and colours are perfect. The zipper bag is perfect too.

Weronika said...

You've done a lot of amazing work Marie! Congratulations!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

What a wonderful scissor holder. I've never seen one like that before. I had some lovely stork scissors but I broke the point off one of the blades and they had to retire.

Catherine said...

Beautiful work! So glad I had the chance to pop in!