Sunday, August 19, 2012

Summer Delight

I had the pleasure of my DS company for about a month following his graduation from college.  While he was with us he was a ball of energy, constantly helping out.  One of the things that he did was landscape around our home. He worked on the front:




Then he worked on the side.  It is here that I requested he plant a few herbs and vegetables:


So, what do I like most in my garden? 

BASILOcimum basilicum
Originally from India
Sweet Basil ~ the type used in Italian food

After spending time in NYC with my other DS and sampling some delicious Basil Pesto at the Farmers Market (yes, to my surprise there was one right in the city) I decided to try to make some.  

I headed to my garden to pick the basil:


Next I measures the pine nuts and peeled the garlic, which I placed into the food processor:


Added the washed basil:


and pulsed until coarse.  Slowly I added 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil and processed.
I seasoned with salt and pepper and ended up with this:



After adding the Pecorino cheese and remaining EVOO my Basil Pesto was complete.  


The recipe is from The Food Network

Basil Pesto


Ingredients

  • 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1/4 cup pine nuts
  • 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino cheese

Directions

Combine the basil, garlic, and pine nuts in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add 1/2 cup of the oil and process until fully incorporated and smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
If using immediately, add all the remaining oil and pulse until smooth. Transfer the pesto to a large serving bowl and mix in the cheese.
If freezing, transfer to an air-tight container and drizzle remaining oil over the top. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw and stir in cheese.
YIELD: 1 Cup
What to do with Basil Pesto
*Use as a topping for spaghetti or linguine.
*Toast slices of French bread under the broiler. First drizzle olive oil on the    bread slices ~ toast ~ spread with pesto for quick appetizer.
*Mix with fresh green beans and zucchini slices, then steam.
*Top chicken breasts with pesto, then roast in the oven.
*Use as a dip for raw vegetables.
*Stir into rice or mashed potatoes.
*Pesto is delicious as a sandwich spread.

Now for some "stitchy" stuff....

The HOE BBD Exchange piece that I stitched for Deanne arrived.  This is what I stitched for her:


2012 HOE BBD
Designer: Blackbird Design
Design: Naughty or Nice
From BBD Book: Christmas Garden
32ct Linen Over One
Stitched for: Deanne

I recently completed this quilt top that I am giving as a gift:


The pattern, titled Hannah's Rainbow Quilt, can be purchased through Keepsake Quilting

The quilt will be sent to Texas next week so that it can be machine quilted by a fabulous quilter, whose work is top notch! I can't wait to see what she does with it.

That's it for today. Thanks for stopping by ~

Until next time...

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Gorgeous work by DS outside!! Looks beautiful. We've had decent luck with our basil this year - much of it has gone into roasted tomato basil soup. You can also freeze the basil - I chop it up in the food processor with some water and freeze it in little cups or ice cube trays, then throw the cubes in tomato soup I make over the winter.

Love, love, love the quilt. You do such beautiful work

Katrina said...

Your DS did good work!!!! I love pesto :-). Sweet exchange and quilt too!!!!