Friday, August 16, 2013

He's Just Batty

Look what showed up in my Mailbox...

Designer: Flowers 2 Flowers
Design: Bat Buddy
2013 JCS Halloween Issue
Stitched by: Carol S.

So adorable and such an unexpected surprise from my dear friend Carol S.  Knowing that my Halloween tree was in need of some decorations, she stitched this up for me.  Could this tiny little Bat be any cuter?  Thanks again Carol, you are the BEST and I truly value the friendship we share! 

After stitching four of the Prairie Schooler designs from the O Christmas Tree leaflet I managed to find time to do the finishing on these little gems...

Designer: Prairie Schooler
Design: O Christmas Tree
Finish: Tree Ornament



And how will I hang them? I have NO idea.  Oops, I just realized that I have not put the hanging cord on them! Well, I know what I will be doing this weekend...completing the finishing.

Rather than use a branch for the tree trunk I cut a wooden dowel and wrapped it in strips of brown fabric. The wool felt that I used is actually forest green, not sure why it looks black (my stitching skills are far better than my photography).  I love the way they turned out and look forward to completing all of the designs.

A few weeks ago I picked up the 2013 JCS Halloween magazine and am busy stitching a cute design for the HOE Halloween Exchange.  If you are interested in joining in you can read the details HERE, but you need to sign up before August 21st.


Why Do I Love Vermont?

Great blueberries right off the bush ~ 
Not to mention that gorgeous view!

From Oven

To Table

Delicious, simply delicious!


Blueberry Coffee Cake Recipe:
  • 1 cup butter, softened                1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 cups white sugar                     1 cup fresh blueberries
  • 2 eggs                                      
  • 1 cup sour cream                       1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract                    1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 5/8 cups all-purpose flour       1/2 cup chopped pecans 
  • 1 tsp baking powder                   1 Tbsp confectioners'
  •                                                         sugar
                                                                         
Directions:

1) Preheat oven 350 degrees.  Grease and flour a 9" Bundt pan.

2) In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the sour cream and vanilla.  Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; stir into the batter just until blended. Fold in blueberries.

3) Spoon half of the batter into the prepared pan.  In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar, cinnamon and pecans.  Sprinkle half of this mixture over the batter in the pan.  Spoon remaining batter over the top, and then sprinkle the remaining pecan mixture over. Use a knife or thin spatula to swirl the sugar layer into the cake.

4) Bake for 55-60 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted into the crown of the cake comes out clean.  Cool in the pan over a wire rack. Invert onto a serving plate, and tap firmly to remove from the pan. Dust with confectioners' sugar just before serving.


Thanks for stopping by ~ Have a wonderful weekend!


Until next time...






6 comments:

Ellen said...

Cute little bat! I love your PS Tree ornaments, they are just gorgeous!

That cake sure looks yummy...

Have a great weekend!

Hugs,

Marilyn said...

Oh, that litle Bat is too cute!
Love your finish on the PS's.
Marilyn

Shirlee said...

I'm not a Halloween person but I have a "thing" for bats only to stitch as gifts for a friend of mine who is 5 months older than me. I always call her "old bat" because of that & like to send bat gifts to her : ) She would get a kick out of this one : ) You did a great job finishing those tree ornaments, & what great looking blueberries!

Melissa said...

That is a cute little bat! I love the Christmas trees you stitched. Is that an older leaflet?

Blueberries + cake = Yum!

Pumpkin said...

He is a cutie!!!! What a great addition to your Halloween Tree :)

Blueberries! YUM! I love this time of year :)

Catherine said...

What a cute bat from Carol! Your finishes turned out so cute too!!
Nothing like fresh fruit and warm baked goodies....yum!