Thursday, July 24, 2008

Hello Neighbor

I completed my block for Karen's NRR and mailed it off to Deb yesterday. I and am pleased with how this turned out; I especially like the fence and the Yorkshire Terrier in the front yard.


Hello Neighbor

Karen's NRR


I found a wonderful book at the library called “House and Garden Samplers” by Mary Jenkins that I used extensively to design my block. It is a great resource for designing blocks for a Neighborhood Round Robin because it takes you from the history of samplers to design planning and execution. There are 47 illustrations of various specialty stitches, a great chapter on designing your own house, and many illustrations of various doors, roofs, windows. The chapter on gardens illustrates a nice selection of flowers and trees, and the chapters on Animals and Alphabets has an array of patterns. This is an older book (copyright 1996) that I was able to purchase on Amazon…whoo hoo! I cannot wait to add it to my library.

I am busy working on exchange pieces so I have no other stitching pictures to share at this time.


I do however have this "ugly" picture.....

This is not exactly the type of "bird" that I was hoping to attract to my backyard feeders! Is this wild turkey ugly or what?

It is hard to believe that it once looked as "cute" as this...


Thanks for stopping by and enjoy the rest of your week!


Until next time...

23 comments:

Suburban Stitcher said...

Beautiful RR! I love the texture in the trees that you stitched...just lovely :)

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

I absolutely love the RR square you did..perfect!

And Marie...Turkeys are ugly! We are turkey country apparently because of all the hills and hollers around here...and Turkey run all over the place...Turkey and Turkey Vultures - YUCK-O!

Jennifer said...

I love your square and how it looks almost 3-D. The fencing is very cool!

Thanks for the tip on the book. Guess what's going on my wishlist?

Rachel V said...

Sooo pretty, Marie! I agree, the fence is really cool.

mainely stitching said...

Wow, you managed to attract a wild turkey? I thought they were really shy.

Than NRR looks great. Love your chicks, too. :D

mainely stitching said...

Wow, you managed to attract a wild turkey? I thought they were really shy.

Than NRR looks great. Love your chicks, too. :D

Paula C. said...

Hey Marie! Check out my blog =) Thanks again for inspiring me to start one! Have a great day!!!

Hannah said...

My, oh my! That turkey IS ugly. It almosts looks like a buzzard. Your house turned out lovely. I especially like the house in your header, though :)

Jenn said...

What a beautiful square you stitched up. I just love the fence. Very pretty.

Katrina said...

Gorgeous round robin! I love your square.

I thought it was a buzzard, that is one ugly bird LOL.

Daffycat said...

Oh my! Your house turned out wonderfully beautiful! I love your iron fence and all the flowers! Great addition to the neighborhood!

I'm giggling over the visitor to your feeder! How unique!

Lelia said...

WOW! A beautiful block to add to the RR project. Thx for sharing the book, too. Looks loaded with great patterns : ) I will have to check the public library.

Thx for visiting my blog, too! Enjoy the day

Michele said...

Hi, Marie,

I don't usually comment when I visit your blog. I do check it out quite frequently and always enjoy it!

I have nominated you for a Brillante Weblog Award.

Michele

Julianne said...

Hi Marie,

Great work on Amy's neighborhood! I LOVE the flowers that you did in specialty stitches.

I received the light in today's mail. I'm so excited to use it. I have the perfect project to try it out with.

Dani - tkdchick said...

Wow I think that's one of the best houses I've seen yet!!!

Jen said...

The RR is lovely. Thanks for the advice on the book. I have been interested in Neighborhood RRs and think the book is a great resource.

Kathy said...

Lovely addition to the RR. Very nice RR all together.

That sounds like a great book. Might have to look into one myself.

Lisa said...

Hi Marie, I always enjoy your blog. The PS pinkeep is just beautiful, and beautifully finished by Anna as well. Congrats on your award, always nice to be recognized by other stitchers :-)
Great wildlife pictures. Connecticut is beautiful!

Lisa said...

Oh, silly me, I wanted to comment on your RR---it is just beautiful!

Leslie aka zoeandcooper said...

Great job on Karen's RR. It looks amazing. I can't believe it is almost done.

Lennu said...

Karen's RR looks great! I love your square.

Julie said...

Oh, no, no, no! He's BEAUTIFUL and you are blessed to have him as a visitor! I'd love to have wild turkey feeding in my yard!
Your house is great, especially the trees and the little pup in the yard!

Julie said...

Oh, no, no, no! He's BEAUTIFUL and you are blessed to have him as a visitor! I'd love to have wild turkey feeding in my yard!
Your house is great, especially the trees and the little pup in the yard!